Sunday, January 24, 2010


Why a new blog?


The contemporary Internet is already full of them, and somehow the 'blog' concept itself reached its built-in obsolescence; with the advent of the 'web 2.0' (now almost 3.0...) the idea of fruition as the assimilation of a sequential flow of thoughts and links already smells of naphtalene and lavender.
Not citing the web resources I use at work, I already have a Flickr pro account in the Yahoo multiverse, Facebook, Google Mail, a website with a domain, a del.icio.us account with a beautiful cloud, I use Skype and I am registered on LinkedIn. I lost track of all the mailboxes I have, because they NEVER expire, the Net is now more immanent than a mountain. And eBay, payPal, the bank account, even the access to my electricity meter!!! And I am forgetting something for sure. So until now I strenuously resisted to the idea of a personal blog. It takes time, has to be maintained, the XML/CSS/html/@ç#*§whatever has to be mastered at some degree.


BUT.

Take a look at this definition, and think about your digital self, surrounded by all the information coming from everywhere:








exteroception - sensitivity to stimuli originating outside of the body
sensitivity, sensitiveness, sensibility - (physiology) responsiveness to external stimuli; the faculty of sensation; "sensitivity to pain"
visual modality, visual sense, vision, sight - the ability to see; the visual faculty
cutaneous senses, sense of touch, skin senses, touch modality, touch - the faculty by which external objects or forces are perceived through contact with the body (especially the hands); "only sight and touch enable us to locate objects in the space around us"
audition, auditory modality, auditory sense, sense of hearing, hearing - the ability to hear; the auditory faculty; "his hearing was impaired"
gustation, gustatory modality, sense of taste, taste - the faculty of distinguishing sweet, sour, bitter, and salty properties in the mouth; "his cold deprived him of his sense of taste"
olfaction, olfactory modality, sense of smell, smell - the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents



All those stimuli coming to our new digital body are becoming day after day so fragmented and incoherent I felt the need of an index, to discriminate the good from the bad and the ugly, and keep one's mind aired. Think about this blog as a metastructure of thoughts, where there will be no apparent logic except in the interstitial glue between the posts. [In addition, this is a great initial excuse for any crazy babbling that surely will appear here...]





PS1 - I have to get the hang on how to obtain the best results in Blogger (font type, colours etc... so maybe the first posts will be a bit awkward...
PS2 - Linking my site here, and working with a new laptop 1680x1050, I noticed more than ever that it has to be adapted to the new huge resolutions, and updated with a lot of new contents... I promise it will be done soon at some point in the future...

Share

1 comments:

Cristina Balma-Tivola said...

Couldn't find a better definition of the concept of "exeroception": wonderful!!!
Still, I have a profile on flickr, one on youtube, one on couchsurfing, one on facebook, one on anobii, one on myspace - all for different purposes - *but* having a blog didn't help me gathering all these different pieces I'm split in... and now I have one blog, a second blog, a third blog... :D

Post a Comment

search into visions

friends and followers